A Brief History of Our Church


Weeks of planning and prayer crystalized when the Reverend Joe McKnight arrived to organize First Presbyterian Church of Phenix City.  A handful of people worshiped in a home on Summerville Road on October  14, 1956.  The following week church school classes and worship were held at Central High School (now the Central Services Activities Center).  By November the purchase of a wooded lot overlooking Moon Lake was approved.

The church was formally organized Sunday, January 4, 1957, and a ground breaking ceremony consecrated the permanent place of worship, September 29, 1957.  The first Service of the Lord’s Day was celebrated on Mother’s Day, May 11, 1958, and the building was dedicated to the glory of God on June 1, 1958.

The ministry of First Presbyterian Church began with a dream shared by a small group of seventeen Christians.  Since that time some things have changed, and some things have stayed the same.  The dream of a congregation reaching out to serve people in the community in the name of Jesus Christ remains.  Through worship, study, sharing, and service we seek to grow in love and unity in serving Him Who first loved us.

We expect to see many more fruitful years of ministry ahead.  We invite you to join us in this purpose.